Old July 8th 10, 10:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Paddington barriers again

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 06:31:45 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

The exit is to the north east, from the top of platforms 8 and 9,
where the bridge takes a bend between spans 3 and 4, the exit goes
straight on(ish). It comes out by the canal and ultimately leads to
Bishop's Bridge Road. It is one of the reasons that there has to be a
barrier on the bridge, if barriers are used, as the pathway is
currently rather narrow.

Ah, I looked and saw it today. Must have disregarded it last time as
it looks like a bit of a building site entrance!

Not sure of the solution for that... I guess this is potentially
looking like a Sheffield-esque situation. Hmm. Might have a look
tomorrow to see if I can work out what could fit in to handle it.

The other solution to the problem might, of course, involve putting
the Circle Line back the way it was and thus reducing the number of
people on the bridge in the first place - we shall see come the
temporary situation that occurs in July-August.

In the meantime, fGW would do well to stop being so damn stubborn and
to open the barriers in the height of the peaks when the situation
starts being a problem, at which time most people are travelling on
season tickets and so ticket checks are perhaps of lower importance as
there will generally be less fare dodging anyway.

They could perhaps also put some sort of queueing tape around the
ticket machines to direct the queue where it doesn't get in the way as
much, as well as posting one more member of staff on the bridge when
the barriers are closed (or providing CCTV), as as it is the gateline
staff cannot see the entire gateline to resolve issues.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.