Old July 8th 10, 10:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
[email protected] hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default S Stock

On 08/07/2010 13:24, Bruce wrote:
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 12:46:34 +0100, "Recliner"
wrote:

"Matt wrote in message

I've never understood why they didn't grab some 1983 stock when they
had the chance. Decades newer than what they've got and the single
leaf doors wouldn't have been a problem on the IOW.

Presumably because at the time, the (at the time, recently
refurbished) stock was still fit for purpose, and replacing it with
the ex-Jubilee stock would have been a false economy. Perhaps if
there were six or seven units of 83 stock available now, then it might
be worthwhile, but with 69 stock becoming available soon, I think
there's a strong possibility that some of them will head to Grockle-
Central, rather than straight to CF Booth's tin-can factory.

I presume you mean 1967 stock. I assume that driving it in purely
manual mode in short formation won't be a problem?

The stock earmarked for the Island Line is either 1972 or 1973 stock.
The 1972 stock is almost identical to 1967 stock but has manual diving
controls.

67 stock also has manual controls. But it seems that they are set up
similar to the Berlin U-Bahn in that the controller and the deadman
feature are separate, whereas they are integrated into one on all other
underground stock here.

67 stock is also restricted to 25 miles when in manual, although they
can modify to run at speed on the Island Line.

BTW, has anybody ever thought of increasing the bridge height at St.
John's? Is that the only obstacle for them to bring on something like
the 62 stock?

Anyway, I do hope that they keep some of the 67s around for the public
to see after the fact. Maybe at Covent Garden?.