Old July 8th 10, 10:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
[email protected] hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default S Stock

On 08/07/2010 14:21, Andy wrote:
On 8 July, 13:57, wrote:
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 05:34:03 -0700 (PDT), Matt Forbes

wrote:

I presume you mean 1967 stock. I assume that driving it in purely
manual mode in short formation won't be a problem?

I did. Oops!

The stock earmarked for the Island Line is either 1972 or 1973 stock.
The 1972 stock is almost identical to 1967 stock but has manual diving
controls.

But when with the 72/73 stock be replaced? I thought that they were
up for replacement around 2015, and surely by that time the IoW fleet
will be falling to bits. With the ex-Victoria vehicles becoming
available somewhat sooner, I'd have thought that they would be used.

Sorry, I am just repeating what I have heard and read. I don't know
the reasoning behind it, but perhaps the cost of installing manual
controls and the extra age of the 1967 stock count against it?

Some of the 1972 stock was actually built as late as 1979, so perhaps
those are the vehicles that have been selected? That would make them
a decade younger than even the last produced 1967 stock.

Another consideration is that there are 7 x 4 car units (plus 3 extra
cars) of 1972 Mk I stock which were converted (in the late 1980s /
early 1990s) to run in the middle of 1967 trains. These units were
split in half and each half coupled to 1967 stock half unit. This put
the 1967 stock cabs (with the ATO equipment) at the outer ends and the
1972 stock cabs (with the manual equipment) in the middle of an 8 car
train.

i.e.
from DM(67)-T(67)-T(67)-DM(67) + DM(72)-T(72)-T(72)-DM(72)
to DM(67)-T(67)-T(72)-exDM(72) + exDM(72)-T(72)-T(67)-DM(67)

A possibility is that these units will be the trains for the Island
Line, reformed back to 4 car 1972 stock trains. I believe that the
driving equipment is still used for shunting when reforming trains in
the depot.

When/If Island Line gets "new" rolling stock, then what will be of the
guards?