Old July 10th 10, 11:22 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Bruce[_2_] Bruce[_2_] is offline

Default Paddington barriers again

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 11:22:44 +0100, "Richard J."
wrote:
Bruce wrote on 09 July 2010 10:53:35 ...
On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 01:56:21 -0700 (PDT), Mizter
wrote:

I can't quite recall exactly what the arrangement was in days or yore,
but I think this northern exit used to form part of the cab road that
ran through Paddington - I think there was direct access off the old
Bishop's Bridge into the cab road, which then used the ramp down to
the wide island between platforms 8& 9 before continuing across what
is now the concourse and onto the ramp that leads up to Praed Street.

That is also my recollection.

Mine too, and it wasn't just cabs on that road. I often used to drive
down the ramp from Bishop's Bridge, park on the road between platforms 8
& 9 and meet friends arriving by train from the west.

I did that once in the mid-1970s, driving my VW Beetle to meet my
girlfriend off a train from Bristol, but I think by the late 1970s it
was taxis only.