Old July 10th 10, 12:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Oyster PAYG on National Rail advice, please

On Jul 10, 12:21*pm, Paul Terry wrote:

In message , Neil Williams
writes

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 11:01:32 +0100, Paul Terry
wrote:

You need to ask for a "Boundary Zone 6 to Brighton" return.

Are you *sure*? *I thought you could only use BZ tickets with
Travelcards, either day or period, because with PAYG Oyster you must
get off and touch out, and you can't do that at BZ6 itself because
it's not an actual place!

You're right - the journey would have to be split at Coulsdon South (or,
more practically, at East Croydon) in order to touch out (and back in on
the return). I'd forgotten about that annoyance now that I have a
Freedom Pass, with which I habitually get BZ6 tickets for places such as
Gatwick and Lewes.

But, as the OP says, the current Southern £5 offer is going to be better
value than using Oyster.

Ahh, the joys of the Freedom Pass! (And no, I haven't got one - but I
know those who do love theirs!) I do wonder whether this is perhaps
the golden era of the Freedom Pass...