Old July 13th 10, 09:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default LHR to Tilbury Pier

On 13 July, 09:17, Mizter T wrote:
On Jul 13, 4:09*am, "

wrote:
Would it be possible just to add 2.40 or what ever the fare to my
oyster card?

Yes - though London Underground now impose a GBP5 minimum top-up when
using their ticket offices (i.e. the ticket windows), so you'd
probably have to top it up at a self-service ticket machine at
Heathrow tube station and you'd need to have the correct amount of
British coinage to do so, as they won't give change when topping up an
Oyster card with cash - note that some Tube ticket machines only take
cards, so make sure you don't join a queue for one of them!

Not knowing the minimum, I went to a counter to top up £3 and was told
it was a minimum of £5. I said "so I have to use the machine then?"
and then she topped up £3 anyway.

If you are down to your last fiver and need to put on £3 so that you
can get to work and need £2 to buy a sandwich at lunchtime, it's not
very user-friendly to have to top up £5 at the counter or use a
machine that won't give change.

Yes, I know: get used to diverting to a friendly shop so that LU can
close down their ticketing facilities.