Old July 13th 10, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

Default TfL Rail and Tube panel

On 13 July, 13:28, Kevin Ayton wrote:
On 13/07/2010 12:57, Peter Masson wrote:

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

I can imagine that if NXEA got a 378 style layout they'd
never run a 8 car train on the Chingford line again. It would be cram
them in Japanese style on the Chingford line (as they do today when
they "forget" to stick the extra 4 carriages on for the peak) but on a
permanent basis.

My reply to Tom crossed unfortunately, but the mention of a '378
layout' is associated with 9 car trains as well...

IIRC before the 315s came along Chingford (and Enfield Town) did have 9
coach trains. And before the Victoria Line came to relieve the load,
Chingford's peak service was 9 tph.

Peter

Indeed - I commuted to school from Chingford to Liv St. for 7 years in
the late 60s / early 70s, and I remember the 9 trains per hour. They
were in three groups of 3, one group every 20 minutes. The first two of
the group were fast between St. James' St and Liv St. (missing Clapton,
Hackney Downs and Bethnal Green), while the third was the stopper. And
in the rush hours they were all 9 car (3x3) trains.

Just a quick reminisce!

They continued after the 315s were introduced as well, certainly
through to the late 1980s and probably till the 321s were introduced
to displace more 315s. 315s covered the off-peak, but the 9 x 305s
appeared in the peaks.