Old July 13th 10, 08:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Moscow Metro vs. London Underground

On 13/07/2010 16:37, Ian Jelf wrote:
In message , Tristan Miller
writes
Greetings.

I just got back from a trip to Moscow. I made extensive use of the Metro
there and thought I'd post my observations on how it compares with the
London Underground.

Thanks **very** much for posting this.

We're off to Moscow (and Saint Petersburg) later in the summer and I'd
been wondering about some of the "transport" elements, for Metro,
trolleybus and indeed tram.

I do realise that the Metro is (relatively) accessible to visitors. The
trolleybuses also seem fairly easy to sample but I'm less sure about the
trams. The guide books I've read only refer to them "not being in the
centre" and largely gloss over them.

Did you take any photographs/have any problems taking them/not feel like
taking them/get threatened for taking them?

Things I like better about the Moscow Metro:

* The trains seem to run a lot more frequently. I used the system on both
weekends and weekdays, at various times of the day (morning and evening
rush hours, mid-afternoon, and late at night), and never had to wait more
than three minutes for a train, even if I arrived just as one was leaving
the platform.

I seldom find I have to wait that long in Central London!

* The stations are (famously) very beautifully decorated with marble,
columns, chandeliers, statues, reliefs, murals, etc.

Much like Gants Hill, then? ;-)

A short line about Gants Hill, taken from Wikipedia.

"The station, like many others on the same branch, was designed by
notable Tube architect Charles Holden; during the planning period London
Underground advised on the construction of the new Moscow Metro, which
is why the barrel-vaulted halls of Gants Hill echo many stations on the
Russian capital's system."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gants_Hill_tube_station

* The pricing is simple: it's 26 RUB for each journey, regardless of
distance or number of interchanges.

.... the equivalent of 55p.