Old July 14th 10, 10:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] boltar2003@boltar.world is offline

Default Moscow Metro vs. London Underground

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 10:48:00 +0100
Ian Jelf wrote:
Thanks for those observations. It's some years since I last went
there, but that's roughly how I remember it. Many of the stations were
really interesting to look at, the only problem being how to find a
place to stand gawping around without being pushed over in the rush of
people going past.

One thing you didn't mention: all the escalators run at least 50%
faster than the ones on the London underground,

That seems to be an Eastern Bloc thing. Prague and Budapest are the
same.

A lot of stations/lines on these eastern bloc metros were originally designed
as nuclear bunkers and are very deep down. LU would normally have lifts
for stations that deep but they use escalators so I guess they have to go
faster otherwise you'd be on them for hours.

B2003