Old January 22nd 04, 12:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Fat Richard Fat Richard is offline

Default Refurbished Victoria line trains

Paul Corfield wrote in message . ..
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 17:30:10 -0000, "Geoff Marshall"
wrote:

Got on a northbound at Vauxhall this morning, and for the first time noticed
that the 7 seats facnig each other in the middle part of the carriage, have
been altered to match the Jubilee style stock .. ie, there are now onyl 5
seats and a pad to rest your arse on at each end! Allows more standing area
by the doors.

First time i've seen this.. has this just been done, or am I way behind the
times?

Also it had new upholstery on the seats, as i noted a Met line train did the
other day too .. nice new purple patterned material...

I think you are behind the times by several years. One unit was
converted to this format in the two trailer cars as a trial. I think it
is unit 3086 etc but am happy to be corrected. While I can see some
marginal benefit in terms of additional standees I am very grateful they
have not converted any more cars to this format.

I am not aware of any substantive mods that are planned on Vic Line
trains in advance of fleet replacement in a few years time. It is now
commonplace for seat moquette to be cleaned / replaced as the Infracos
respond to the Ambience incentives in the PPP Contract.

There were 2 sets done, 3086 and the other was either 3009 or 3010 ?
not sure. They were both used on a tour I arranged on the Vic (Badger
Railrours, memories..) The 2 and 2 facing became 1 facing two by the
doors i recall which was usefull for someone my size as I could occupy
the whole seat and not get sneering looks from people like I do now
for occupying 1 and half !

I rather like the Bakerloo idea of removing the arm rests in the
"sideways" seats as well.

Fat Richard