Old July 18th 10, 12:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london
David Walters David Walters is offline

Default Cycle hire

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 15:42:11 -0500, wrote:
I'm confused too. Maybe Paul has the same problem. It's how the "access
fee" of up the £45 a year and membership and the "Key fee" of £3 relate.

My understanding is you don't need a key and can hire a bike with your
credit card but can opt to have a key if you like which will speed up
the hire process.

The payment station takes credit cards, and keys, and lets you do
things like sign up to the scheme and check your usage. Once you have
joined it prints a receipt which includes a 5 digit code, all digits 1-3,
which you then type into the dock of your chosen cycle to release the
bike. This is important at the bigger docking stations which might have
30+ bikes, the furthest a resonable distance from the payment station,
as you wouldn't want 'your' bike to be taken by a scoundrel.

If you have a key you can short circuit the payment station and insert
it into a reader next to your chosen bike, enter your PIN and ride into
the sunset.

Or at least I think that is how it works. I'm looking forward to finding
out on the 30th.

David