Old July 18th 10, 02:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
John Wright John Wright is offline

Default S Stock

On 08/07/2010 16:48, Paul Scott wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote in message

On Jul 8, 12:23 pm, Matt Forbes wrote:
I've never understood why they didn't grab some 1983 stock when they
had the chance. Decades newer than what they've got and the single
leaf doors wouldn't have been a problem on the IOW.

Presumably because at the time, the (at the time, recently
refurbished) stock was still fit for purpose, and replacing it with
the ex-Jubilee stock would have been a false economy. Perhaps if
there were six or seven units of 83 stock available now, then it might
be worthwhile, but with 69 stock becoming available soon, I think
there's a strong possibility that some of them will head to Grockle-
Central, rather than straight to CF Booth's tin-can factory.

Wonder how much TfL will ask for them from the Island Line? (And IIRC
it is the Island Line that would be buying them, as opposed to a Rosco
- correct?)

Not necessarily, the 38 stock currently in use was owned by a ROSCO
(HSBC?) until just before the last franchise change, when they were sold
to SWT for a nominal sum.

Wikipedia says it is / was HSBC. The nominal sum was apparently £1.

--
John Wright

Blasphemy - a victimless crime.