Old July 19th 10, 12:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Cycle hire

On Jul 17, 9:42*pm, wrote:

(Mizter T) wrote:

On Jul 17, 1:01*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
I still can't my head round the charging model although I've not
devoted a lot of brain power to understanding it. [...]

It's not really all that complicated - see the fees and charges on this
page: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/12444.aspx

First off you need to pay an "access fee" to be able to use the system
- this is £1 for 24-hours or £5 for seven days, or else £45 for a
year's membership. Then you pay for how long you use the bike - no
charge for up to half an hour, £1 for up to an hour, then it starts to
jump up somewhat at £4 for an hour and a half etc etc (see the table
for details).

The thinking that users will only borrow the bikes for a short period
of *of time (to make a journey across central London), and will return
them to a dock once they get 'there' - the charging model is thus
intended to ensure that bikes stay in circulation and remain available
for other users. All the other bike hire schemes in major cities (of
which there are now several in Europe and around the world) seem to
broadly follow this principle.

I'm confused too. Maybe Paul has the same problem. It's how the "access
fee" of up the £45 a year and membership and the "Key fee" of £3 relate.

Yes I'd seen that and pondered on it myself - perhaps the key fee is
quoted separately so that:
(a) the fee for a replacement key is clear, and users realise the key
itself is valuable;
(b) it might allow for a user's annual membership to lapse, but for
them to then pick it up again say three months later using the same
key (and underlying account information) - and perhaps in the future
there could be shorter membership periods available as well.

There appears to be nothing about becoming a member on the link given.

Patience Colin - or do you really want to be part of the 'right-now',
instant-gratification-is-demanded generation?

Anyhow see David Walter's post downthread - sign-up for membership
opens this coming Friday the 23rd July, though TfL don't specify the
exact hour when this happens.

Regardless, everyone will be able to enjoy working themselves into a
tissy when the website falls over - indeed, I suggest people start
stoking their righteous anger in readiness right now ;-)