Old July 20th 10, 12:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roy Badami Roy Badami is offline

Default Oyster Route Validators - compulsory to touch?

On 20/07/10 00:49, Mizter T wrote:

In a word Roy (well, not many), no, I don't think there is (or indeed
can possibly be) any compulsion to use Oyster route validators (or
penalty for not using them) - touching on them mid-journey can
possibly result in a cheaper (non zone 1) fare being charged, but that
is conditional on the specific journey that a passenger is making.

Thanks - my first reaction was to assume as much, but a combination of
the threatening signage and a significant number of other passengers
using the validator raised doubts in my mind; and as I didn't want to
risk getting held up (e.g. if my Oyster didn't open the barriers at
Canonbury) I didn't feel like testing what would happen if I ignored it.

I didn't think to take a photo of the signage though I imagine it is
fairly consistent between stations; if I'm travelling that way again
I'll try to remember to do that.

In
your case, a journey from KXSP to Canonbury is always going to be a
zones 1&2 journey - no possible way of avoiding zone 1 because you
started there!

Maybe I needed to prove I didn't take the Central Line to Stratford and
hence go via zone 3? ;-)

-roy