Old July 20th 10, 03:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Oyster Route Validators - compulsory to touch?

On Jul 20, 3:43*pm, MIG wrote:

On 20 July, 14:58, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"skyguy" wrote:

The sign at Wimbledon also seems to suggest that you must touch the
pink validator if changing between tube and train, but as far as I can
see almost no one ever does. The confusion isn't helped by the fact
that there's yellow validators on the tube platforms, pink validators
just beyond the platforms, yellow ones on the ticket gates at the top,
and special tram ones on that platform - I think people have learnt to
ignore them unless they have to open a gate.

It isn't a good idea to ignore the tram validator if interchanging either -
if heading onto the tram with PAYG you'll end up with an uncompleted tube/NR
journey depending on origin, and could be caught on the tram without a touch
in. *If coming the other way, you'll be in the paid area without touching
in, so will register an unstarted journey when (if) you eventually touch
out.

The yellow platform validators are needed for PAYG passengers transferring
to/from NR services that extend beyond zone 6. Otherwise said passengers
would have to leave and re-enter the main gateline, adding to the
congestion...

The London Bridge situation doesn't particularly help people who are,
say, arriving from Brighton on a paper ticket and wanting to use PAYG
around London.

In reality most people arriving from Brighton at London Bridge on a
London Terminals won't be wanting onward travel northbound (into or
through central London) via FCC Thameslink, they'll be transferring to
the Tube (or the bus, or walking from the station etc) - those who do
want onward travel would have sensibly either got a point-to-point
ticket to their destination station (e.g. St Pancras or West
Hampstead), or got an outboundary Day Travelcard from Brighton.

Those arriving in London Bridge for onward travel via suburban
services to destinations in south London could again have got a
through ticket or Travelcard from Brighton, but otherwise if they want
to use Oyster PAYG for such a journey then yes they'd need to pass out
through the gates and then back in using their Oyster card.

In the case of London Bridge I don't think it's really a major issue,
in that I don't think it'll affect that many passengers and for those
it does, it isn't that much of an obstacle.

*Maybe they've worked out that you'll always have to
pass through a London Terminals barrier at some point where your paper
ticket would be valid, or else have a cross-London ticket.

Not quite sure I entirely follow the above in the context of the
discussion, but I think I'm being a bit dense.

Are there working interchange validators at Farringdon?

Good question - I'd expect the ones at Farringdon have remained
operational because of the large flow of passengers from outside of
London who'd want to start or end an Oyster PAYG journey when
transferring to the Underground - but I can't answer definitively as I
haven't noticed either way when passing through recently.