Old July 21st 10, 11:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Oyster Route Validators - compulsory to touch?

"Mizter T" wrote in message

On Jul 21, 12:41 am, Roy Badami wrote:

On 20/07/10 14:58, Paul Scott wrote:

If coming the other way, you'll be in the
paid area without touching in, so will register an unstarted journey
when (if) you eventually touch out.

This bit I'm confused by. I didn't think you ever should touch out on a
tram - I thought they're treated like buses? Interchanging from tram to
tube at Wimbledon doesn't change that rule, does it?

I think all Paul is referring to is touching out on the pad on the
automatic gate - you need to do this to get out of the station (and
this is why Wimbledon is a 'special case' for Tramlink, i.e. the tram
stop is within a gated paid-for area.)

I was trying to get across the general case that if you got off the tram and
did nothing at Wimbledon, when you touched out at 'some other station' you'd
have been travelling without a tube/rail touch in, and the gates would
charge a max cash fare on the grounds the journey was unstarted. You'd also
be subject to a PF if checked en route.

This would also be true for a touch out on the barrier line at Wimbledon if
you hadn't used the special validator when getting off the tram, as I
understand it from previous discussions...

Paul S