Old July 21st 10, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Oyster Route Validators - compulsory to touch?

On Jul 21, 12:16*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote:

On Jul 21, 12:41 am, Roy Badami wrote:

On 20/07/10 14:58, Paul Scott wrote:
If coming the other way, you'll be in the
paid area without touching in, so will register an unstarted journey
when (if) you eventually touch out.

This bit I'm confused by. *I didn't think you ever should touch out on a
tram - I thought they're treated like buses? *Interchanging from tram to
tube at Wimbledon doesn't change that rule, does it?

I think all Paul is referring to is touching out on the pad on the
automatic gate - you need to do this to get out of the station (and
this is why Wimbledon is a 'special case' for Tramlink, i.e. the tram
stop is within a gated paid-for area.)

I was trying to get across the general case that if you got off the tram and
did nothing at Wimbledon, when you touched out at 'some other station' you'd
have been travelling without a tube/rail touch in, and the gates would
charge a max cash fare on the grounds the journey was unstarted. You'd also
be subject to a PF if checked en route.

Yes, that's all correct.

This would also be true for a touch out on the barrier line at Wimbledon if
you hadn't used the special validator when getting off the tram, as I
understand it from previous discussions...

No, that's not correct. So long as one has correctly touched-in at a
tram stop before travelling to Wimbledon, then if the journey is
finishing at Wimbledon (and the passenger is thus exiting the station)
there's no requirement to touch on anything again on the tram platform
after alighting from the tram. The Oyster readers on the gates at
Wimbledon will correctly identify that you're an exiting tram
passenger who's paid their fare and will let you through (and if the
gates are locked open then you wouldn't even need to touch-out on the
gate's Oyster reader, though of course you can still do so).

However if you're *entering* Wimbledon station then after passing
through the gates you *are* requirement to touch on the Oyster reader
on the tram platform - failure to do so will result in the system
assuming one was to make a Tube/NR journey, and hence charging the max
fare because one didn't touch-out at a Tube/NR station having
completed a Tube/NR journey.

(Incidentally, if a tram passenger did alight at Wimbledon then touch
on one of the Oyster readers on the tram platform, then it's quite
possible there'd be no ill-effect - Tramlink allows one 'free
transfer' using Oyster from tram to tram, as any Tramlink destination
can be reached by using just two trams - this is implemented by
allowing a second 'free' touch-in at a tram stop within IIRC 70
minutes of the first touch-in. Therefore by my reading of things if a
passenger arriving at Wimbledon mistakenly touches on one of the tram
platform validators they wouldn't be charged for another tram journey
unless they've already used up their 'free transfer' - the same
applies for anyone getting off a tram anywhere else on the system and
erroneously thinking they need to touch-out.)