Old July 21st 10, 03:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Oyster Route Validators - compulsory to touch?

On Jul 21, 3:54*pm, wrote:

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 07:48:57 -0700 (PDT)
Mizter T wrote:
That's simply nonsense and completely wrong - if you don't have a
validated Oyster card then you are travelling without a ticket and are
liable to a PF or prosecution. This is what all the posters and signs
say, for example these ones on the interior of doors on Tube trains:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mixthem...te/4019285039/

I'd love to see them try that on in court. A valid ticket is a valid ticket
whether its been touched in or not whatever their conditions say. Those
conditions are not a legal document. Unless *they can PROVE that they would
have lost money by the ticket not being touched in I don't see a court in
the country upholding a prosecution.

You really think that? All the TfL blurb - including all the small
print (i.e. the conditions of carriage - which *is* a legal document)
- makes clear that an Oyster card is only a valid ticket if it's been
validated (at least when being used for PAYG) - an un-validated Oyster
card is therefore not a valid ticket.

I'm pretty sure there'll have been successful prosecutions to this
effect already. But feel free to attempt to put yourself in this
position so you can try your flawed argument out...!