Old July 21st 10, 08:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
tim.... tim.... is offline

Default HS2 via Heathrow gets thumbs down...

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 18:43:39 +0100, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"I recommend that serious consideration be given to making Old Oak Common
the initial London terminal for the high speed line - and that in the
early
stages it be designated London-Old Oak Common (just as Euston would have
been designated London-Euston) - and that effective use be made of the £16
billion Crossrail project and other rail and tube connections to provide
access to passengers` final destinations including Heathrow. "

The Ryanair model of high-speed rail, then. What a stupid idea.

If we can't afford to do it properly, we can't afford it at all and
shouldn't bother.

I don't agree.

It's this "we have to have the complete solution at day one or we don't
start" attitude that causes everything to be cancelled in this country.

Nurnberg in Germany is the same size as Bristol. It has a three line
underground system because 40 years ago it built a line from nowhere to
nowhere with a station in between and added (on average) a new station every
year.

What has Bristol got in 2010?

tim