Old July 21st 10, 08:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Dalston J bus opening and ELL worry

On 21 July, 21:22, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"MIG" wrote in message

Obviously, it makes a lot of difference whether the train is due to go
and whether any feeding NR trains have arrived from the south since
the last one left. *I suspect most ELL users at New Cross may be local
rather than changing, but that would take a lot of standing around to
verify. *On the other branch, people do seem to be travelling through..

Does anyone know if there have ever been any serious proposals to extend
that leg of the ELL further? *Despite a new up direction flyover being a
fairly obvious requirement, and a bit more double tracking (approximately
where the old depot was), surely an ELL extension in the general direction
of Lewisham would be a lower cost option than for example Bakerloo
extensions? *Of course it depends to an extent on transfer to other lines
but Crossrail should help there...

Paul S

There's a couple of significant differences in layout. Firstly, the
connection would have to be north of the station and run through the
existing NR platforms. At NXG the ELL southbound can come into its
own parallel platform before continuing south, rather than be held
outside. I can't see any way of extending the ELL platform at NX.

The other difference is that at NXG, the tracks are paired by
direction, so the flyover from the outer track works fine. At NX, the
tracks are effectively paired by terminus, ie Charing Cross v Cannon
Street.

A flyover would take services away from Charing Cross and they
couldn't stop at NX, but the southbound service would replace services
from Cannon Street.

A flat junction on the Cannon Street side might be able to work
without huge disruption, but when it comes to it I'm not sure that I'd
want yet more services diverted to Hackney instead of London Bridge
and beyond.