Old July 21st 10, 08:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Big Jack Big Jack is offline

Default HS2 via Heathrow gets thumbs down...

On 21 July, 20:17, Neil Williams
wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 18:43:39 +0100, "Paul Scott"

The Ryanair model of high-speed rail, then. *What a stupid idea.

If we can't afford to do it properly, we can't afford it at all and
shouldn't bother.

Perhaps the cheapest and easiest way to accomplish getting any
passengers from Heathrow, if indeed there will be any. Is to route the
current Heathrow Express into Euston, with a stop at Old Oak Common
for CrossRail. The expanded Euston Terminal for HS2 could then see a
line that shadowed the M1, to outskirts of Birmingham,,Thence the
existing proposals to split North of there for West and East Coast
Destinations. No expensive and costly new line through the Chilterns.
The pain has already been created with the M1 so least possible chance
of objections.