Old July 21st 10, 10:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard Richard is offline

Default Oyster Route Validators - compulsory to touch?

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 08:11:45 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

[...] So long as one has correctly touched-in at a
tram stop before travelling to Wimbledon, then if the journey is
finishing at Wimbledon (and the passenger is thus exiting the station)
there's no requirement to touch on anything again on the tram platform
after alighting from the tram. [...]

I wouldn't touch again on the platform, as I said I paid again once
that way: fair enough, you could argue that the free transfer wouldn't
apply at terminals.

Thanks for the explanations, everyone, and sorry to go on about it.
Wimbledon is clearly an extra large can of worms. The signage there
is *completely* insufficient if all we read above is true (no reason
to think not) and there should be announcements on the tram as well -
there are about every other bloody thing.

I am a great supporter of Oyster (except Network Railcard) but at
this one station, and maybe a few others, could things not be
improved?

My earlier post now seems off-topic as we were supposed to be talking
about route validators. I didn't know there was one there, clearly my
mistake. But then, the current "Getting Around with Oyster" (May
2010) doesn't refer to what to do at Wimbedon when leaving the network
somewhere else:

"I get the tram to/from Wimbledon station.
What should I do?

If you travel by tram to Wimbledon, always
touch in at the start of your journey and touch
out at the station gates when leaving the
station. Do not use the yellow card reader on
the manual gate when you exit. When travelling
by tram from Wimbledon, always touch in at the
station gates and again at the yellow card reader
on the tram platform before boarding."

The route validators in the Wimbledon tram case are not always
fulfiling their usual purpose of indicating a [cheaper] route taken.
They are, as I think Mizter T pointed out weeks ago, also able to
record an "in" and thus avoid a penalty.

I can now see that I have over-paid on a recent journey via Wimbledon
where I didn't validate there.

[Previous balance £20.10]
22:21 Carshalton [National Rail] Entry - £4.30 £15.80
22:32 Mitcham Junction Tramstop Entry £0.00 £15.80
^^ Why not a tram fare? Earlier cap?
23:06 Surbiton [National Rail] Exit - £4.30 £11.50
Total: £8.60.

Total for the day £13.70 instead of a £5.10 Zone 2-6 cap.

Interesting that on the unlisted outward journey, the Wimbledon tram
validator recorded an exit rather than a bus-like entry. Anyway,
setting this all out like this has helped me understand exactly what
happened, so I might as well click "send" and share the pain.

Thanks,

Richard.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...r_may_2010.pdf