Old July 25th 10, 01:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Does London Underground accept Euros anywhere?

On 25 July, 14:36, Mizter T wrote:
A friend has been given quite a lot of Euro coinage that all adds up
to a fair amount whack (n.b. this is not a result of either money
laundering nor theft!), and was pondering on how he might be able to
spend it in London - he's not planning on travelling to Euroland for
some time to come (having just returned from an extended escapade),
and anyway likes to travel light.

Now I've got some vague notion that LU might accept Euros at one or
two central London stations, such as KXSP. I can't however find any
mention of this on the TfL website, and even if it was the case I can
imagine it might be notes only and not coins. Does anyone know
anything more than that? The idea of course was that he could top-up
his Oyster with all this spare change (perhaps over the course of more
than one transaction though!).

Anther suggestion I had was M&S, who I understand accept Euros - at
their central London stores at least, if not perhaps all their stores
- not sure whether they take coins though, and if they do I dunno
whether they'd be that keen on enormous quantities of them! Also yes I
believe McDonald's in central London accepts Euros, but the only thing
he'd really want from them is a coffee. Lastly, I know there are those
'CoinStar' machines - these are the machines you get in supermarkets
which accept and count up your (Sterling) shrapnel and then I think
give you a voucher for spending at the supermarket, whilst taking a
generous cut for themselves for all the hard work they do - well I
dunno if there are any such machines which accept and exchange Euro
coinage for Sterling around? I've got some very vague idea that they
might exist somewhere, though I'm sure the deal they do isn't a great
one.

So an on-topic question which degenerates into an off-topic one - but
I'm sure utl can handle that!

What about a shop in a touristy area that happens to be a Ticket Stop?