Old July 25th 10, 06:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Cycle hire

On Jul 23, 10:19 am, David Walters wrote:

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 01:53:33 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T wrote:

On Jul 23, 9:22 am, David Walters wrote:
You can opt to auto-renew but I don't know why you would ever want to
do that. Even for the annual access charge you might as well only renew
it when you use it.

What's unclear is how key-holding members will reactivate their key
with a new access period - e.g. say I've got a key and want 7-day
access, will I have to go on-line first and 'order' that, or will I be
able to turn up at a docking station and sort it out - though I'm not
sure the latter will be possible as IIRC there's no key 'hole' in the
pay stations, just in each of thecycledocks themselves. So if one
just turns up with a key that doesn't have an 'live' access period/
membership associated with it will one even be able to just take a
bike and get 24-hour access - or will the key be no good unless it's
re-activated online? (I suspect the latter.)

There is a key reader in the pay stations which lets you do things like
check your hire history so you might be able to also pay for access
there.

When I was around town yesterday (on my bike no less) I noticed that a few
of the pay stations are already turned on and active - an example being the
one on Bernard Street opposite Russell Square tube station. The simple
touch-screen user interface seemed familiar - the screens look a bit like
those on a ticket machine, maybe it's just the New Johnston font. IIRC there
were six initial options, including balance, print receipt, and usage
history - or wording along those lines.

I also note that there's a usage history available online for those with web
accounts (which is presumably everyone with a membership and a key).