Old January 22nd 04, 06:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Alan Campbell Alan Campbell is offline

Default Kings Cross fire (1987) : final victim named

"Richard" wrote in message ...
but not always, left by groups of young people). Smoking in the carriages

is
also fairly common. Nothing can stop this sort of deliquency except
reasonably regular patrols by staff.

Even that isn't working. Until people are dragged through the courts they
will continue, knowing even if they are caught, they'll just be asked to
finish it.

Happens all the time at New Street - there is no disincentive to smoking
there.

Richard

Yes, to both posts, I have seen it in both places. Now, they will
argue that Northolt is not underground...... (Not the point of course,
the law still applies, and a train with smouldering upholstery heading
east might be in the middle of London when it flares up, if they get
on the train there while still smoking).

They do need to be made an example of in the courts, otherwise the law
will have to be abandoned until the next great tragedy, which we would
all hope to avoid.

IMHO, smoking on an Underground train should carry an automatic 14 day
prison sentence, with no cigarettes allowed..... An accidental
violation of health and safety law can result in much worse, so it is
hardly extreme. I wonder if they do that in Singapore. Last time I was
there, it was a hughe on the spot fine for droping a cigarette end in
the street, so people actualy don't do it.

Tiger