Old January 22nd 04, 06:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Robin May Robin May is offline

Default Aldwych Station

(Boltar) wrote the following in:
om

Robin May wrote in message
. 1.4...
You seem to be saying that creating interchange between lines is
bad. A ridiculous thing to say, but then you also seem to be
saying that the

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. What I'm saying is that
what exactly was the point of the JLE going from canary wharf -
straford when the DLR already did that?

Increased capacity and easier interchange for people arriving at
Stratford who don't want to go to Canary Wharf or a destination on the
Central line. That includes people arriving on National Rail from Essex
and the NLL, people arriving from the eastern sections of the Central
line and people arriving by bus. Wherever they're coming from, they
certainly exist, a fact made obvious by the large numbers of Jubilee
line passengers at Stratford. You been there recently?

Thats not interchange,
thats duplication. The JLE would have been more useful if it had
carried on down the thames or headed back into greenwich or along
to woolwich , plumstead perhaps even via london city airport. But
stratford??!

Surely going to Greenwich, Woolwich or London City Airport would be
worse than the duplication you're complaining about at Stratford.
Greenwich already has National Rail and DLR. Woolwich and the whole
Royal Docks area has the DLR and NLL, and there's a London City Airport
bus link from Canning Town station on the Jubilee.

If the JLE was
really to have been a public service as opposed to one simply
serving big business at canary wharf

Ah, so providing transport for the thousands of people with jobs
at Canary Wharf is "serving big business" but providing transport
for the ten people with an office right next to Aldwych station
is a sensible idea?

Jesus christ , how hard a concept is this to grasp? For a start
its a damn site more than just a few people who work down in that
area, you been there recently.

As I've already said, yes I go there regularly and I am aware of how
many people work there. But for almost all of them I'm pretty sure it's
as convenient to catch a bus from Holborn or walk from Temple as it
would have been to use Aldwych station. They could even catch a bus
from Waterloo if they wanted! Admittedly it may be marginally less
convenient for a few hundred people (at most) but the difference would
have been so slight that the cost of keeping the station open and
replacing the lifts really wouldn't be worth it.

--
message by Robin May, succeeding at failure.
Enjoy the Routemaster while you still can.

Crime is confusing.