Old July 26th 10, 08:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default 'Ending' "the war on the motorist"

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 13:05:30 -0700 (PDT), allantracy
wrote:

My neighbourhood policeman tells me it’s because of the more than a
few idiots that seem not to understand that speed limits are a
maximum, rather than a minimum, so need to have it spelt out for
them.

Notwithstanding the fact that a lot of the roads concerned (not all of
them) *are* in the most part safe at 60mph, I'd rather see more
"neighbourhood policemen" out there booking people who are driving
dangerously for the appropriate offence. A speed camera cannot do
that.

The joys of Milton Keynes...long may the national speed limit prevail.
While 60/70mph is a bit fast for a good part of the grid, it is nice
to be able to drive at your chosen safe speed without having to pay
religious attention to the speedometer in preference to the road. And
you find, generally speaking, that people do not act dangerously
(though the prevailing high speeds are perhaps unsettling to those
unfamiliar with the area) and that because there are few or no
unnecessary lower limits people tend to respect them.

(In case the above puts you in any doubt, I do not generally exceed
the speed limit on any given road, whether I consider it to be
reasonable or not).

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.