Old January 22nd 04, 07:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default Luton Airport

Robin May wrote:

"Peter Lawrence" wrote the following in:

On 22 Jan 2004 02:15:54 GMT, Robin May
wrote:

I'm flying Luton Airport this Saturday. What's the best way to
travel there from east London? My local stations are West Ham,
Plaistow and Canning Town.

Thanks in advance.

Ignore most of the advice so far, except for 'drive', since
Thameslink is scheduled to be blocked this weekend.

Thanks for the info, I could have been in a spot of bother without
knowing that!

This leaves H & C to St Pancras and then Midland Main Line train
to Luton Airport - one only per hour (at 30 mins past)

What are the Midland Main Line ticket prices like and roughly how long
will it take to get to

I wouldn't bother with MML - very unreliable and nowhere near as
frequent as Thameslink (fast trains every 15 mins).

- or
Jubilee Line Canning Town to West Hampstead and then walk to West
Hampstead Thameslink (10 minutes) for train to Luton Airport,
prob. every 15 mins.

You could also use the Silverlink North London Line to West Hampstead,
and avoid central London altogether for £5.20 cheaper.

Standard Open Return ticket prices (the most flexible, can be used on
MML too if you need to):
West Hampstead to Luton Airport: £20.20
(plus £2.50 * 2 for the tube) = £25.20
London to Luton Airport: £20.80
(plus £2.50 * 2 for the tube) = £25.80
Canning Town to Luton Airport via NLL = £20.40
(note that a Network Awaybreak is also available at £19.60 if you are
returning within 5 days).

So this will work even with the central London Thameslink stations
shut? And again, what sort of ticket prices and journey times can I
expect?

The cheapest route using the NLL is takes about 1h25m altogether.
King's Cross to Luton takes just under 35 minutes on a fast train, plus
40 minutes from Canning Town to King's Cross; 1h15m altogether.
Canning Town to West Hampstead by Jubilee line is 35 minutes (in theory)
plus about 30 minutes on Thameslink, making it 1h05m altogether.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7