Old July 27th 10, 11:35 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default 'Ending' "the war on the motorist"

"Chris Tolley" (ukonline really) wrote in
message
Graeme wrote:

In message
Chris Tolley (ukonline really)
wrote:

Neil Williams wrote:

As for cameras, they have their place - though I am far more in
support of SPECS cameras than "point" GATSOs, as the latter only
seem to cause panic braking. If Oxfordshire are cutting funding
so they'll all be turned off...

What I don't get about this is why they need any funding at all,
given how much people whine about them doing nothing but raising
money.

Because the money goes direct to the treasury, not the county.

I'm not sure that helps answer the point. Turning the cameras off
because the Treasury won't pay will result in the Treasury not getting
the money in. The only real question is whether the income is more or
less than the funding, whoever actually pays it. If indeed it is a
cost-effective measure, then it can only be because the cameras raise
less money than they cost to install and operate, which blows the
money-raising argument out of the water. If, OTOH, they raise more
money than they cost, then the treasury should continue funding them,
because its money will come back with interest.

I believe that they make a small net loss (ie, raise less than they
cost), but that's probably not the real reason for withdrawing funding
for them.