Old July 28th 10, 10:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
[email protected][_2_] jonporter1052@btinternet.com[_2_] is offline

Default 'Ending' "the war on the motorist"

On 28 July, 21:53, Adrian wrote:
Sam Wilson gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

But as has already been pointed out, the speed limit can depend of the
class of vehicle. Speed cameras only enforce the speed limit for those
vehicles subject to the highest limit at that location. So if a vehicle
is travelling faster than the limit which applies to it but slower than
the limit which applies to the least restricted class of vehicle, the
camera will not detect that is exceeding its maximum permitted speed.

I was talking to a truck driver a couple of months ago (he was driving
the truck taking my ailing car home on the back of it) and he was of the
opinion that at least some speed cameras can detect the size of a
vehicle and react to its speed accordingly. *I'm still not sure whether
to believe it, but he slowed down to 40-ish for the cameras his satnav
told him about (A68 - not many).

The theory is commonplace, but I doubt the practice - not least because
it's entirely possible for two nominally visually identical vehicles (and
certainly very similar in overall outline or cross-section) to have
different speed limits.

Basically, I just don't think the cameras are intelligent enough.

Talivans, otoh...

SPECS3 combined with ANPR, Bristol and South Wales trials went very
well.