Old July 29th 10, 06:29 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Graeme[_2_] Graeme[_2_] is offline

Default 'Ending' "the war on the motorist"

In message

Andy wrote:

On Jul 28, 10:05*pm, Adrian wrote:
Andy gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

The theory is commonplace, but I doubt the practice - not least
because it's entirely possible for two nominally visually identical
vehicles (and certainly very similar in overall outline or
cross-section) to have different speed limits.

Basically, I just don't think the cameras are intelligent enough.
Well, the cameras don't need to be that intelligent. The software for
working out the fines can do a final check on whether the speed is
legal for the vehicle in question.

So you're suggesting that the cameras in a 60 limit single carriageway
NSL should take a photo of every vehicle doing over 40mph, in case they
might be HGVs?

No, just that if, as suggested, they have the capability to check for
'large' vehicles which have a lower speed limit, there can be a final check
of the speed before fines are issued.

I don't believe they have that capability, based on conversations with people
from TRRL.

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Photo galleries at http://graeme-wall.fotopic.net/