Old July 29th 10, 09:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
[email protected][_2_] jonporter1052@btinternet.com[_2_] is offline

Default 'Ending' "the war on the motorist"

On 29 July, 14:05, MIG wrote:
On 29 July, 12:57, Ken Wilshire wrote:

Nobody has yet pointed out that speed limits generally were set at the
nearest 10 mph lower than the 85th percentile (approx from memory) of
all road traffic on a stretch of road (blanket 30 mph zones excepted)
in the 1960s. *Therefore, "exceeding" a posted speed limit just means
that you are driving faster than the 85th percentile - not an offence
if you are driving sensibly.

Since the 1960s car control has improved tremendously from power
steering through ABS brakes, yet the Highway Code still has the
stopping (thinking/braking) distances of old. *I would like to see
these distances recast for modern cars with two tables, one for dry
conditions and one for wet. *Modern downward tinkering of speed limits
is practically all about anti-car, not common sense, cf ever
increasing swathes of 20 mph zones, etc.

Although a car in working order may have great capabilities, I still
feel unnerved when driven by someone who zooms up to traffic queues
and then brakes hard (stopping safely). *I wouldn't bother
accelerating towards an obstruction and would save on both petrol and
brake pad by coasting gently towards it.

That way, even if the systems fail, far less harm is likely to result.

Good point, the fact is cars may have improved, humans have not.