Old July 30th 10, 03:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Rucksacks worn on the tube

On Jul 30, 9:51*am, wrote:
I had to use the tube today and had the pleasure of some eejit wearing a
rucksack in front of me constantly swivelling it about and bumping me.
Happily I managed to get my own back when I got off the train by just shoving
past their rucksack and almost knocking them over but shouldn't there be
some sort of bylaw for not wearing huge rucksacks to deal with these sorts of
idiots who seem to think they're still trecking in nepal even when squashed
on the victoria line?

I had this happen twice recently, and politely spoke to both of the
rucksack wearers. The first was a girl from up north who was very
apologetic, we actually had a little chat and it turns out it was her
first time in London, and was all wide-eyed about it, as well as
being somewhat pensive - amusingly she thought the tube train we were
on was 'very busy' and was a bit disbelieving when I said it wasn't
really (mid-morning/lunchtime Saturday on the Northern line, Jubbly
closed I dare say, a few free seats and a fair few standing but
certainly not packed by any stretch of the imagination).

The second was an Italian girl who when I politely confronted her
shrugged expressively, huffed and then tried to give me the dagger
eyes - so I glared back (it went on for a bit), and then had reason to
laugh out loud when a big Aussie barged past getting on at the next
stop and, on her huffing and turning to look at him, gave her a firm
and no-nonsense verbal admonishment.

In general I'm all for speaking up in situations like this - it might
feel awkward I grant you, but so long as you keep your cool it's the
right way to go.