Old July 30th 10, 09:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Does London Underground accept Euros anywhere?

On 28/07/2010 19:07, Fat richard wrote:
On 26 July, 01:45, Barry wrote:

When I worked in the Ticket Office at St Pancras we accepted a number of
foreign currencies, but it was:

a) Notes ONLT
b) A not very good exchange rate, with different rates for each
denomination of note
c) We charged a £3.00 admin fee for the privilege

Cheers,

Barry

At Kings Cross (BR) in the mid 80s we accpted a number of currenices
with a dialy list produced with the (appalling) rates. There was also
a nominal admin charge as well (£ ?).

Because of the hassle and the fact that many did not want to rip
people off, intending passengers were normally referred to the Bureaux
de change where even in the days of ****e station rates at Bureaux and
comission (remember that !) the punter was always much better off.

As a result of the referals, staff got commission free exchange.

American tourists were not normally interested in making the hike of
30 yards and would just thrust large denomination travellers cheques
(remember those) at us. The more entrapaneurial (spelling?) old hands
may have made some beer money by not paying in the foreign currency
IYSWIM.

Richard

How about notes from St. Helena, did you ever accept any of them?