Old January 23rd 04, 12:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Sam Holloway Sam Holloway is offline

Default Spammer problem

Yes, another one... some advice would be appreciated.

One of the domain names that I own (not the one I'm posting from,
fortunately!) is being used in the 'From' address of bulk e-mailing. I
know this because I'm receiving plenty of bounce reports each day
where has attempted to e-mail many not-so
random addresses (they look like they're taken from a list). It's all
the usual spam : get rich, better pills, you know the stuff.

Fortunately, any techy person worth their salt knows that the From
address on spam is nearly always forged, and they can trace the
headers for the true culprit. But most of these poor recipients won't
be in that case, and so my domain name is surely getting a bad
reputation.

Is there anything I can do? The only thing I can think of is to work
through the headers each time I get one of these bounce messages and
report it to the appropriate ISP. Trouble is, they're often quite
munged with no real case of who can be blamed.

Any comments and advice would be appreciated! Typical not-at-all
Cambridge related cam.misc posting, I'm afraid. :-)

Thanks,

Sam
--
Sam Holloway, Cambridge