Old July 31st 10, 06:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default 'Ending' "the war on the motorist"

"Adrian" wrote in message

"David A Stocks" gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

My car (also two years old) has options for 17", 18" or 19" wheels. I
have the the 17" wheels and the speedo reads about 10% over actual
speed. If I were to fit 18 or 19" wheels the speedo would still read
more than actual speed, but by a lot less as the rolling radius of
wheel/tyre combination gets larger.

I strongly suspect you'll find that there's very little difference in
rolling radius between the standard-fit tyre sizes. As the rim
diameter goes up, so the tyre sidewall profile comes down, keeping
the overall size around the same.

If there is a marked difference between, then cars with the different
tyre sizes either factory or dealer-fitted should have the speedo and
odo recalibrated.

Yes, I'm sure that's correct. However, the large wheel/low profile tyre
combo rolling radius is less likely to be affected by air pressure
variability.