Old August 1st 10, 08:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london
PeterG PeterG is offline

Default Rucksacks worn on the tube

On Jul 30, 10:17*pm, "
wrote:
On 30/07/2010 21:16, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 19:14:42 +0100, Tom
wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010, wrote:

I had to use the tube today and had the pleasure of some eejit wearing a
rucksack in front of me constantly swivelling it about and bumping me..
Happily I managed to get my own back when I got off the train by just
shoving past their rucksack and almost knocking them over but shouldn't
there be some sort of bylaw for not wearing huge rucksacks to deal with
these sorts of idiots who seem to think they're still trecking in nepal
even when squashed on the victoria line?

Well it is the holiday season. *This year is nowhere near as bad as
previous years for rucksackitis. * I used Victoria tube at lunchtime
earlier this week - it was complete mayhem with so many visitors just
not knowing where to go or what to do. *The queue for tickets was
enormous at the ticket office and the machines - a real surprise even
though it is one of the busiest stations.

Yes, there should. Also people who roll their little rolly cases in the
tube passageways, and people who think that just having stepped off a
train is the right time to put their bag down and fiddle with it.

Oh yes. *It's the handbags (not cases) on wheels that stagger me. What
can you be carrying in a handbag that is so heavy that you need wheeled
assistance?

And also people who only start retrieving their ticket when they get to a
gate.

And people who think right in front of an entrance or the foot of an
escalator is the right place to stand in groups of a dozen and discuss
where to go.

And people who walk down the middle of a passageway, occupying the whole
thing, at a speed slower than intended by anyone else. Admittedly this
only applies to wide people and narrow passages, but this is London, and
that is a frequent combination.

You (and others) have mentioned most of my pet hates. A recent annoyance
is people managing to combine standing at the edge of a platform, the
middle of the platform and the back plus littering it with bags,
standing in groups and also obstructing the entrance to the platform
[1]. *This is a speciality of the westbound District Line at Victoria -
an absolute shambles. *None of the people have any clue that in
combination they have effectively prevented all movement on the platform
or that people might just want to get past.deep breath& *sigh * *I
hate to say it but one day there will be an accident as a result of
this.

[1] note this is not the height of the rush hour when I accept platforms
can get completely packed out with people but at least they "know the
drill".

What really annoys me are people who stop just before getting on an
escalator. They to put both feet on one of the plates and will hesitate,
rather than just stepping on.

That must be me then, blame it on the dodgey hip, and hope you never
have the same problem.
Or do you want to ban me from PT because I also take a bit longer then
mosy people getting on/off busses & trains.