Old August 1st 10, 01:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Postal counties to be dropped from the Postcode Address File

In message , at 13:44:05 on Sun,
1 Aug 2010, Trolleybus remarked:
The real problem is the clueless nature of some organisations and their
systems. Will things really get better once we get in the habit of not
adding the county to addresses? I suspect they'll use postcodes
instead. With sufficient granularity that could be fine. OTOH it could
easily be a huge mess.

It wouldn't have helped me (with an SG8 postcode several miles inside
Cambridgeshire) unless they are prepared to go down to at least that
level of granularity. Which would also require some central 'body of
knowledge' that said "SG8 is a village on the southern fringe of
Cambridge, not anywhere near, or remotely associated with, Stevenage".

The next village north (Foxton), also famous for being the
faux-destination of stopping trains from Kings Cross to Cambridge, did
mount a campaign and was eventually re-designated CB22 about ten years
ago.