Old August 1st 10, 07:52 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
Bruce[_2_] Bruce[_2_] is offline

Default day out in london - suggestions

On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 10:26:45 -0700 (PDT), allantracy
wrote:

The only problem is the long trip over "the rest of the UndergrounD"
to get there. *

The Underground does run fast trains though, always fascinating to
catch one that starts back from Aldgate.

The Met main line is full of interest to those of us well north of
Watford that have not found our way into contempt through familiarity
and are able to appreciate the truly wonderful (by comparison with the
truly appalling bus only land up here in the West Midlands)
transportation system that London enjoys.

I think you are wilfully overestimating the attractiveness of the
Chesham branch and underestimating the sheer boredom induced by the
comparatively long journey to get there - especially on the old
Underground sub-surface trains whose ride quality is absolutely
atrocious.

My view of the line is not conditioned by "contempt through
familiarity" because almost all my journeys to and from London are
accomplished on London Midland services to and from Tring. Almost
regardless of the time of day, the LM trains are uncrowded,
comfortable and clean, and the new multi-story car park at Tring means
that there are always spaces to park my car.

So a trip on the Met main line is now a rare "treat". Only problem
is, it isn't much of a treat, as stated above and previously.

If you want a scenic trip on LUL, the DLR and ELL are far more
interesting, and there is no need of a long and boring journey to get
there. If you want a variety of scenery, including some rural (green
belt) scenery, I think the east end of the Central Line takes some
beating. But Chesham? IMHO - forget it.