Old August 1st 10, 10:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_3_] Richard J.[_3_] is offline

Default [OT] Postal counties to be dropped from the Postcode AddressFile

Neil Williams wrote on 01 August 2010
22:06:39 ...
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 19:07:34 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

Evening all,

Not related to transport, but a topic which flares up here now and then:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10825499

I was particularly pleased to see the 'Romford is/is not in Essex'
argument being brought up immediately in the comments. Now, could someone
get on there and tell them about Metropolitan Kent?

I don't see why the UK postal addresses shouldn't be the same as
Continental ones - i.e. just "number streetname, town postcode".

Because our postcode system has a far finer resolution than most other
countries, and therefore enables greater automation and efficiency in
Royal Mail (in theory), as well as enabling many other applications such
as satnav and location finding on online maps. Why would you want to
degrade our excellent postcode system?
--
Richard J.