Old August 2nd 10, 10:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Theo Markettos Theo Markettos is offline

Default [OT] Postal counties to be dropped from the Postcode Address File

Neil Williams wrote:
When did I say I wanted to do that? I basically agreed that the
principle of a county in an address was pointless and that we should
use:-

"20 Anystreet
Anytown AB1 2CD"

as our address format. Of course, you only *need* "20 AB1 2CD", but
the inclusion of the street and post town provide a useful "checksum"
to ensure the postcode is correct, and the street address probably
assists the postman on his walk as well.

Depends on how much you need the checksum. If you have an address like:

J. Jones
1 Station Road
Newport
smudge

Should that go to Newport (Isle of Wight), Newport (Gwent), Newport
(Telford & Wrekin), Newport (Hants) or Newport (Essex)? How many
places do you have to send the letter around to find if a Mr Jones lives
there?

Yes I know the county names are broken in some of those (that's what Google
gives, which is presumably from the PAF) but that's the PAF's fault for not
keeping up. I suppose Newport, Newport (Newport unitary authority) rather
messes things up. You could always have Newport, Casnewydd instead

Theo