Old August 2nd 10, 07:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Rucksacks worn on the tube

On 2 Aug, 17:15, Mizter T wrote:
On Aug 2, 3:44*pm, Clive wrote:

In message , Tristan Miller
writes:
Exactly what disability causes people to walk slowly down the middle of a
narrow passageway? *Is there some affliction that prevents them from
keeping to one side, thereby allowing faster-moving traffic to pass them?
Or is "being inconsiderate of others" now classed as a disability?

I'm not disabled but am frequently confused by the use of the tube. * In
this country we drive on the left, so it is normal to walk on the left,
but the escalators say stand on the right. [...]*

And? It's results in the same outcome, in that others can walk on the
left.

[...] Londoners who should know
better frequently go against the arrows and arrive on a platform from
the exit, confusing the tourists. [...]

Perhaps they do that because they *do* know better! (Many tourists are
readily confused anyhow - if Londoners had to alter all their
behaviours so as to avoid confusing tourists, nothing would happen in
London.)

It generally makes sense to follow the arrows, but there are a couple
of notable exceptions.

At Bank, pretty well all signs must be ignored if possible, but Bank
is weird.

The wrong passageway that I would use would be the cross passageway at
Euston in the morning, at the level between the escalators. The one
slightly further north is filled both with people heading from the
mainline station to the City branch/Victoria Line and with people
trying to exit from the Charing Cross branch. The other one isn't
really used at all unless someone wanted to change from Victoria Line
to Charing Cross branch there.

(I don't understand why they don't avoid this crush by making both
escalators from the ticket hall two-way.)

[...]* What's the convention for walking
through those small passages that interlink platforms etc?

On the left, as with staircases.