Old August 2nd 10, 08:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Eric[_3_] Eric[_3_] is offline

Default Rucksacks worn on the tube

In message , Eric
writes
On 2010-08-01, Ian Jelf wrote:
Phew. Bit opinionated for me but.......hey, this is Usenet!

Happy travelling. ;-)

If this is Usenet (yes, I know, it is) then I should probably say that
the smiley will not get you out of being killfiled.

Not sure if the prospect of being killfiled is supposed to make me feel
in some way threatened or bothered. Plainly it won't! It might be a
first, though (unless others have done it for reasons of boredom!).

'Twas merely an observation. Killfiles and their like are for spammers
and trolls.

No, nobody said "delayed", not even me, but this went from specific
inconsiderate behaviour (rucksacks) to a list, which included things
which I know can be due to mobility problems. And nobody knows what goes
on in someone else's head, we only go on external evidence. You think I
have a chip on my shoulder - you might too if your partner frequently
came home crying because no-one would give her a seat and people pushed
her out of the way and ... . And that's why I am less than certain of
your (or anybody's) level of understanding.

Pleased to see you're less than certain" about what I think, rather than
assuming you *know* what I think.

I don't know what you think. I do know that I find insufficient evidence
in what you have written that you do understand what I am saying.

I stand by my view that few people would be harsh on someone with a
mobility impairment, even in crowded London. I do understand, though,
that some people's impairments are less than obvious (as people with
parking badges sometimes find out from "interested" passers-by).

Not necessarily deliberately harsh, just selfish and/or arrogant.

It is a fact of life, though, that London tends to be full of people in
a hurry, mingling with people not in a hurry (for reasons varying from
being mobility-impaired to being tourists) and they tend to chaff,
sometimes.

Chaff?

As for your partner being upset by people's actions,

Not their actions, the consequences of them, which is mostly pain!

that's unlikely to
change in the foreseeable future and only three courses of action are
open:

(1) Carry on being upset.

(2) Stop using public transport or

(3) The only real choice.......being more forceful. That's not
everyone's cup of tea but - given the innate undesirability of the
other two choices - it's the only one open to them.

The response to which has been known to be "aggressive compliance",
feigned deafness, or abuse.

Unlike many posters here, I post under a real name and am very easily
identifiable online! That makes me more careful and considered about
what I write, which in turn makes me only write things I can stand by.

There is, of course, no answer to that except to wonder why you thought
it necessary to say it.

Eric (which is my real name )