Old August 2nd 10, 09:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default [OT] Postal counties to be dropped from the Postcode Address File

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 21:26:17 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 21:17:03 on
Mon, 2 Aug 2010, Neil Williams
remarked:
Ad you think that would still work if we had a two-tier (continental
style) address model in the UK?

I don't know when I suggested that.

You suggested a continental model last night.

I didn't. I suggested that the only data required to form an address
would be as per the Continental system, i.e.:-

10 Anystreet
Anytown AB1 2CD

....in which the street and town act as effectively checksums and to
help the postman (actually only "10 AB1 2CD" is theoretically enough,
but then there is no "checksum"). There is no need for district of
the town nor for county, as the postcode will provide that
information, and duplicate street names in a given town aren't that
common. I tend to use that sort of format anyway, and haven't found
it a problem.

I did not at any point suggest that our postcode system should be
reduced in scope to one of lower resolution such as that found in
other countries.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.