Old August 3rd 10, 07:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default All the bike lanes lead nowhere

On 02/08/2010 14:46, David Cantrell wrote:
On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 10:55:25PM +0100, PeterE wrote:

Umm, cyclists are already banned from the sidewalks/pavements in the UK.
Doesn't stop them doing it, of course, as the law is virtually never
enforced.

It's hard to enforce laws against unidentifiable people who move too
fast for plod to catch. This is one of the many reasons that cyclists
should be made to carry registration plates.

A bigger problem is posed by pedestrians, of course. I've never been hit
by a cyclist, but I have been thrown from my bike on a busy road by a
pedestrian, and there was no easy way of identifying him (he was
subsequently identified by witnesses, but apparently the CPS don't act
on mere ABH if the victim is young and male).

Perhaps tattooed numbers somewhere obvious would do the job? It could be
made optional, only required if you wish to leave your house.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK