Old August 3rd 10, 07:25 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default 'Ending' "the war on the motorist"

Graeme gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

[snip]

Exceeding the speed limit and using a phone whilst driving are minor
and trivial administrative offences which merely distract from the
actual problem - drivers who don't pay any bloody attention to what's
going on around them.

You are wrong actually, driving while using a phone is actually a lot
more dangerous than simply speeding. Even using a handsfree kit is not
that effective in reducing the danger. The problem is that
concentrating on the phone call is a major distraction from paying
attention to driving conditions. Psychologically it is a lot different
to just talking to another person in the car with you.

And don't get me started on people who send text messages while driving.

I notice you snipped the bit that said...
If somebody is driving carelessly or dangerously, charge them with
that - whether the phone is the cause, the symptom or whatever.