Old August 3rd 10, 12:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default [OT] Postal counties to be dropped from the Postcode Address File

In message , at 12:55:02
on Tue, 3 Aug 2010, David Cantrell remarked:

Don't know about you, but these days I find out where someone is by
typing their postcode into Google Maps or my sat-nav.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ------------------- ^^^^^^^^^^

Ad you think that would still work if we had a two-tier (continental
style) address model in the UK?

Of course it would, given that it works in the rest of Europe. Sure,
you don't type in the postcode, but Tomtom on my phone knows *exactly*
where to find most of my continental friends.

eg ...

hit "Navigate to", "Address", select Germany from the list of countries,
type five letters to find the town,

Have they avoided having (the equivalent of) half a dozen towns called
"Newport", or does it show some (equivalent of) County information to
help sort out one from the other?

type three letters to find the
street, it then asks me for the house number and directs me right to
their front door.

You seem to be *not* typing the German postcode into your TomTom.

Typing in the street address is all very well, but this is a discussion
about postcodes.

This is actually quicker than, in the UK, typing in the entire postcode
(with irritating switches between letters and numbers) and the house
number.

My satnav doesn't require me to change between letters and numbers in
order to enter a UK postcode. But nor do I have my satnav with me at all
times, so I cannot rely upon it (in the absence of county information in
someone's address that I am trying to locate).