Old August 3rd 10, 07:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default [OT] Postal counties to be dropped from the Postcode AddressFile

On 03/08/2010 13:32, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:55:02
on Tue, 3 Aug 2010, David Cantrell remarked:

Don't know about you, but these days I find out where someone is by
typing their postcode into Google Maps or my sat-nav.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ------------------- ^^^^^^^^^^

Ad you think that would still work if we had a two-tier (continental
style) address model in the UK?

Of course it would, given that it works in the rest of Europe. Sure,
you don't type in the postcode, but Tomtom on my phone knows *exactly*
where to find most of my continental friends.

eg ...

hit "Navigate to", "Address", select Germany from the list of countries,
type five letters to find the town,

Have they avoided having (the equivalent of) half a dozen towns called
"Newport", or does it show some (equivalent of) County information to
help sort out one from the other?

There is /Main and /Oder for Frankfurt, and various X im Y names.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK