Old August 3rd 10, 07:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default [OT] Postal counties to be dropped from the Postcode AddressFile

On 03/08/2010 15:57, Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:
wrote:

I can think of some addresses where you could be some distance from your
intended destination. Try Trinity College, Cambridge CB2 1TQ. Postcodes
define points for deliver of mail, not a large sprawl of buildings
covering a large chunk of central Cambridge.

And of course there's the nightmare of courier firms trying to deliver to
those sorts of addresses. I don't know if it's the case in Cambridge but a
lot of universities have a tendency to use a single postcode for the entire
campus.

Cambridge doesn't have a campus. Unless you are a dodgy looking tourist,
in which case it is that way ---

The colleges each have their own postcodes, though Name, College,
Cambridge is pretty much certain to work (unless there are two people
with the same name there), and there will be a porter to collect
whatever it is. I guess there might be a problem if you are getting a
big heavy thing which needs to be delivered to a very specific place.

The system used to break with firms which couldn't cope with multiple
names at one address, but hopefully that is generally fixed these days -
one electronics firm used to send all orders to whoever had placed the
first ever order from that address, so there would be messages
circulating saying things like "whoever ordered the left-handed grommit
from ACME, it's in my pigeon hole, from Fred Bloggs".

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK