Old August 3rd 10, 09:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Charles Ellson Charles Ellson is offline

Default 'Ending' "the war on the motorist"

On 3 Aug 2010 07:30:13 GMT, Adrian wrote:

Charles Ellson gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

The problem with banning one specific behavior is that it's an
unsustainable approach to treating the sypmtom, not the problem. By your
logic, we should have - driving while eating

Something which I mentioned as it involves use of older less-specific
legislation which appears to be applied in questionable circumstances.

And which you argue cannot be applied in the case of phones. Why?

It was explained by myself and others. Telephones cannot on most
occasions be used safely in a moving vehicle due to the amount of
attention diverted from the primary task of driving the vehicle with
the required level of care and attention.

- driving while applying makeup

Well established as an unsafe and illegal practice.

By that same catch-all...

By the amount of attention diverted etc. but not as great and specific
a problem as mobile telephones.

- driving while talking to a child in the back seat

The same as eating, it is not inevitably unsafe.

Yet talking on a phone apparently is. How?

See above